Local # 87 Weyburn

image6

Contact Information

Don Lafoy

Phone: 

306.842.2985

Email: 

dwlafoy@netscape.net

image7

History in the South

Weyburn is of the Scottish "wee burn," referring to a small creek.

This community was founded in the late 1800’s on the shores of the Souris River by railroad workers. (The Soo Line Historical Museum is located in Weyburn) First settlers were people from eastern Canada and Americans. In 1913, it became Saskatchewan’s sixth city. Weyburn grew steadily, benefiting from the oil boom of the 1950s. 

The local economy thrives on agriculture, manufacturing, processing and oilfield exploration. A major oil field encompasses Weyburn, Midale and Estevan. The first oil find was near Midale in 1953. Within three years there were 80 producing wells. The Estevan-Weyburn oilfield uses CO2 technology to extract oil.

A post office opened in 1895 and a land office in 1899 in anticipation of the land rush which soon ensued in 1899.  Weyburn was legally constituted a village in 1900, a town in 1903 and finally as a city in 1913.

Nowadays, Estevan and Weyburn are two major trading centers in south east SaskatchewanCanada’s largest inland grain gathering point is located just south of Weyburn. 

image8

Mailing Address

419 Confederation Dr.

Weyburn. SK

S4H 2G9